I would like to take the opportunity to wish all of you a Merry Christmas and express my gratitude for your ongoing support. May this Christmas end the present year on a cheerful note and make way for a fresh and profitable New Year.
The number of shares currently displayed in the "My Stats" section of each pool is currently exactly that, the number of submitted shares. To make it easier for miners to compare their contribution, I would like to change that to the value used by the payout system which would be the sum of all shares multiplied by their difficulty.
Let's assume Miner A submits ten shares at difficulty 10. With the current system he would see "10" as his number of shares. Under the proposed system he would see 10 * 10 = 100. Miner B with a much weaker rig, submits 100 shares but at difficulty 1 which would also result in the value 100. As such their contribution to the block effort would be equal. Using a payout system without temporal variance this would result in both miners receiving an equal amount. With PPLNS which we use to prevent pool hopping, there would be a slight variance depending on when both miners submitted shares and whether one of them stopped mining at some point.
This change would be in line with what most other pools are using today. What do you think?
Several people have reported that their share counts did not update for quite a while. I've investigated the situation and confirmed this problem. Fortunately the problem does not affect payments at all. Let me explain why. As some of you might have noticed the loading times for miner dashboards have been gradually increasing over the past weeks and months until a point where it become unacceptably slow. This was caused by the amount of shares in the database becoming so big that the process of counting them on demand (when loading a dashboard) became no longer feasable.
Therefore I've implemented a background process that runs every 15 minutes and which does pre-aggregate the shares of all miners. This process became stuck. Which in turn caused the shares displayed on your dashboard to not update anymore which sucks of course. Those pre-aggregated share counts are only used for the dashboard. The payment process still goes over the entire share table and is unaffected by this mishap. I'm currently working on fixing the pre-aggregation. Until then please do not be alarmed. Your shares are fully accounted for.
Update: I'm currently working on the problem. Expect intermittent disconnects until I report all clear.
Update 2: Aggregation is currently running for all pools. Maintenance is done. I will monitor the aggregation process closely.
Update 3: After monitoring things for past couple hours, I've decided to revert to the old share calculation method. Which means dashboards once again load slower but at least they are accurate. A permanent and more reliable solution is on the works of course.
Update 4: This afternoon I've deployed another shot at making dashboards fast again that looked bullet-proof on paper but apparently isn't. I've reverted the change. Sorry for the inconvenience. *sigh*
Go Team Go
We've just deployed two fixes for the Lyra2re2 based pools Monacoin and Vertcoin. The hashrate should be in line with the actual values and the payouts should be distributed more evenly according to hashrate. I will monitor this constantly.
I'm planning to integrate the mining operation under the existing coinfoundry.org organization. The domain poolmining.org has originally been chosen for SEO purposes. But as some people have repeatedly voiced here and on twitter, the name is simply too generic. The rebranding will occur completely seamless. Miner configurations will not need not to be updated at all and both the main website and this support site will redirect to their new locations. I will announce the exact date of the change a couple days before its scheduled to happen.
Customer support service by UserEcho